Health Ministry Disease Control and Prevention director general Achmad Yurianto said most of the new cases were reported in Jakarta -- where the country's first two confirmed COVID-19 cases emerged -- followed by East Java, Central Java and Riau Islands.
Yurianto, however, did not provide further details regarding the report, such as the detailed number of cases in each province or the source of transmission.
“On Monday evening, we received [reports] of 12 new confirmed cases. But today, we also recorded an additional 20 cases as well as six confirmed cases reported by Airlangga University Hospital in Surabaya, East Java,” Yurianto told reporters on Tuesday.
Yurianto claimed that no new deaths had been recorded as of Tuesday, with the number of fatalities from the disease remaining at five.
Meanwhile, the number of recovered patients has increased from eight to nine.
“Several patients are now undergoing further examination, and we‘ll see in the next two days whether they can be discharged from hospital or still stay in the [isolation] ward,” he added.
Yurianto said that overall, most of the cases were in Jakarta, particularly due to the high frequency of people movement in the capital.
The government will coordinate with the Jakarta administration and the Jakarta Police to conduct further contact tracing and find other people who have been exposed to the disease.
“We have also asked those who have tested negative [for COVID-19]to self-isolate at home,” he said. (glh)